CAMS provides a range of services to the power generation and oil/gas industry and is looking for an energetic, creative individual with wholesale power and gas market experience. Experience with bidding power assets in the various North American organized wholesale markets is a plus. This position is a great opportunity for real time or day ahead traders to grow into an Asset Manager role, overseeing the commercial, financial and operational aspects of power projects, effectively acting as the owner’s representative, with the general goal of maximizing value.
Specific Job Duties
- Organizing and implementing an annual operating budget and business plan that meets the owner’s objectives, and subsequently tracking financial and plant operational variances, including in major maintenance schedules, depreciation schedules, and dispatch and revenue projections.
- Maintain an active, on-going understanding of wholesale market fundamentals and assigned RTO/ISO protocols.
- Collaborate with other CAMS’ Asset Managers, Plant Operations and Owner’s to preserve and enhance a project’s market/contract opportunities.
- Monitoring and analyzing the key performance indicators of the project and reporting to owners and/or relevant business partners.
- Managing relationships with various project entities, in particular: (a) electricity off-takers, often pursuant to long term power sales contracts, including negotiating amendments to and interpretations thereof, (b) project lenders, including compliance with loan requirements, and (c) project owners/partners, including periodic presentations regarding financial performance and commercial issues.
- Creating Excel models for various purposes, including budgeting, settlements, invoices and financial analysis of various project opportunities.
- Participating in obtaining insurance coverage, including property and liability coverage, and subsequently managing insurance claims resulting from damage to equipment.
- Working with teams including attorneys, engineers, and private equity representatives to:
- Negotiate new contracts or amendments to existing contracts for fuel supply, major maintenance of a power generation facility, power sales, etc.
- Support the restructuring or refinancing of new or amended loan agreements
- Settle commercial issues or disputes
- Manage regulatory issues
- Analyze capital investments to enhance or prolong a project’s performance.
- Maintain thorough awareness of technical, commercial and financial issues related to assigned projects including appropriately timed visits to the projects.
- Work closely with Plant Managers and plant operations staff to ensure effective implementation of the operating budgets, management of emergent technical issues, and understanding by plant staff of the commercial ramifications of plant operations.
- Assure timely reporting of performance results by project personnel to corporate groups.
- Represent the project in internal discussions regarding future results, strategy and growth.